Preventative Therapy (Cleaning)
At Academy Dental Group, your preventative therapy (cleaning) is performed by our registered dental hygienists.
Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Probing: Assess and monitor gums for gum disease.
- Fluoride treatment: To strengthen developing teeth and fight tooth decay.
Your Homecare Routine
A beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime is our ultimate goal when treating patients. Your personal home care plays an important role in achieving that goal. Once we've done our job, it's up to you to maintain your oral hygiene at home.
Your personal home care starts by eating balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks you eat, and correctly using the various dental aids that help control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease.
Brushing Your Teeth
Brush your teeth at least twice a day (especially before going to bed at night) with a CDA approved soft bristle brush and toothpaste.
Tips for brushing your teeth:
- Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums and gently brush for 5 seconds, 3 teeth at a time, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
Electric toothbrushes are also recommended. They are easy to use and can remove plaque efficiently. We have Sonicare toothbrushes and replacement heads available for purchase at the front desk for your convenience.
Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gum line. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it disrupts plaque colonies from building up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
Floss holders are recommended if you have difficulty using conventional floss.
It's important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and also after meals if you are unable to brush.
The Academy Dental Team
We really love our patients and are thrilled every time you come in for an appointment. Our entire team is honoured to be caring for your dental needs and we hope you truly feel comfortable at our practice!
Featured Dental Services
Our quality dental services are the foundation of our commitment to your dental health.
From fillings to dentures, our practice offers a full spectrum of services for your entire family. > More
A healthy mouth starts good oral hygiene and a balanced diet, and is supported by regular dental exams, cleanings and radiographs. > More
Gum health impacts your overall well-being. Our periodontal services help prevent gum diseases such as gingivitis. > More